Sunday, June 29, 2008

Classic Chocolate Cream Pie

So it's the end of June and I'm just now writing about Mother's Day, but don't judge me. :)

Back in April, a friend and I took an Italian cooking class at Sur La Table. I recreated the menu for my mom, but I knew that the light lemon cake we made in class just wouldn't do for her! Like mother like daughter, she craves a chocolate cream pie on special occasions. This is one of my favorite recipes, from my Good Housekeeping cook book, and I make it almost every year.

Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
One premade Oreo or graham cracker crust
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
3 3/4 c. milk
5 egg yolks
3 squares (3 ounces) unsweetened Baker's chocolate, melted
2 T. butter, cut into pieces
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. heavy or whipping cream

In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; with a wire whisk, stir in milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and boils; boil one minute. In a small bowl, with a wire whisk, lightly beat egg yolks. Beat 1/2 c. hot milk mixture into beaten egg yolks. Slowly pour egg mixture back into milk mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent curdling. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick or until temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Remove saucepan from heat and stir in melted chocolate, butter pieces, and vanilla until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Pour hot chocolate filling into crust; press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 4 hours.

To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form; spoon over chocolate filling.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails