Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Chocolate Birthday Cake Frosting

Yippee! My first post on my first-ever blog!

I have been thinking about starting a chocolate blog for quite some time now, so many of these recipes are out of date. Pretend it's November for this one!

While I generally make chocolate concoctions much more crazy than this, my in-laws and husband always have a traditional layered chocolate cake for their birthdays. My father-in-law was out of town, so we surprised mom with a cake on her birthday!

They always use Duncan Hines Devil's Food Chocolate Cake mix for the cake part. My husband came up with a quick way to make white icing for piping letters onto the cake (also below).

Mom2's Chocolate Frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3–1/2 c. milk
2 2/3 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2–3/4 c. cocoa powder

Cream butter well. Add cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with milk. Add vanilla. Beat to desired consistency and add more milk a little at a time if needed. Taste often! Frost room temperature cake, preferably with an offset icing spatula.

My Hubby's Quick White Icing:
powdered sugar
milk
splash of vanilla extract

Put a few teaspoons of powdered sugar into a cup. Add milk and splash of vanilla extract, stirring often and rapidly, until desired consistency (and sickening sweetness!) is attained. Scoop into plastic bag, snip off tip, and pipe letters or designs onto frosted cake.

Raging success! Happy birthday, mom!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails