Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Macaroons

It's that time of year again! I've made my hubby macaroons for previous Passovers, but this is my first "real" one as a married couple.

Originally from Martha Stewart, this recipe actually comes in two other variations: plain and chocolate chunk. However, this wouldn't be a true chocolate blog if I didn't make mine chocolate chocolate chip! (For the record, her recipe is just chocolate; I wanted chocolate chips too! I need an intervention...)

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Macaroons
Yields 2 dozen
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut*
3 large egg whites
1 t. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips (I didn't measure... probably used more...)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (I used a Silpat).

In a double boiler of simmering water (or just use a good nonstick pot), melt chocolate, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, combine cooled chocolate, cocoa, sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, salt, and chocolate chips. Use your hands to mix well, completely combining all ingredients.

Dampen hands with cold water (or just use a cookie dough scoop) to form 1.5 tablespoons of the mixture into a loose haystack shape, and drop onto prepared baking sheet. Place macaroons 1 inch apart.

Bake until just firm to the touch but still soft in the middle, 15 to 20 minutes (but check this; mine started to burn!). Remove baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool.

* I had a hard time finding unsweetened shredded coconut, but ended up with the only one I could find at Whole Foods in their baking or bulk aisle! If I remember correctly though, last year I gave up and used the more common sweetened shredded coconut and just omitted the sugar in the recipe. Turned out fine.



I pulled out the burnt ones for this picture. ;)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails