Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chocolate Passover Drop Cookies

Um, let's just cut right to the chase here and say I know exactly what I'll be making with my leftover matzo meal: THESE COOKIES. I'm touting them as the BEST DAMN COOKIES I have ever made. Seriously. Who needs flour? If they didn't use so many egg whites, I think I'd have them every day. If you're a chewy cookie fan, this is your ultimate treat.

In fact, my hubby asked me to find something else to eat. "Stop eating the only sweet I can eat!! Eat your brownies instead, since I can't have them during Passover." How sad. :(

This is another recipe from Martha. I could kiss her feet.

Chocolate Passover Drop Cookies
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 t. vanilla extract
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
1/2 c. matzo meal (not matzo cake meal)
1/4 t. salt
4 large egg whites
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Add melted chocolate, matzo meal, and salt. Beat until mixture just comes together. (It should be thick.)

In a bowl (or stand mixer) with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (this is important). Gently fold into chocolate mixture, but until no traces of white remain. Add chocolate chips, and stir. Let stand 15 minutes. (I didn't and the world didn't come to an end. I wanted my cookies!)

Scoop 2-inch balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (or Silpat; I'd even recommend spraying the sheet instead because these are super sticky cookies). Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack, and let cool completely. Or just DEVOUR while still hot.

Chewy chocolatey goodness, Passover or not.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails