Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cowboy Cookies

My mom always makes a big batch of various chocolatey cookies for M and me at the holidays. This year's stash included chocolate chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, heath bar cookies, Oreo truffles, Saltine "bark," and these curious Cowboy Cookies. Considering that I love "stuff" in my cookies and "stuff" in my ice cream, I knew immediately that I'd love these. With oats, chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut, it really has something for everyone (except perhaps my dad, who abhors coconut... sorry, dad!). Additionally, these are a chewy cookie, for those of us (me! me!) who'd rather have that than a crunchy cookie any day of the week. Another big win for Martha!

Cowboy Cookies
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats (I used quick oats and the world didn't stop spinning)
6 oz. (1 c.) semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (I used chocolate chips)
3 oz. (3/4 c.) pecan halves (I chopped them)
1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut (unsweetened is hard to find other than at Whole Foods)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray, line with parchment, and spray parchment (or just use a Silpat). Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl; set aside.

Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low, and slowly add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Beat in oats, chocolate, pecans, and coconut until combined.

Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a small spoon, drop dough onto baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake until edges of cookies begin to brown, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire rack, and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks. Let cool. (inkpadchocolate says: "Eat when still hot!)

I love these salty/sweet/chewy bites of heaven!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails