Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scouty's First Birthday!: Devil Dog Cake

I apparently grew up in the wrong part of the country to know what Devil Dogs are, but they are little chocolate cakes with marshmallow filling made by Drake's out of New Jersey.

I also didn't realize just how many people out there on the Web are obsessed with them.

In any case, we threw a little party for Scout's first birthday, and for the human cake (the dogs got a dog-friendly cake), there's really no better tribute to our naughty little pup than something called a devil dog!

Because I was short on time, I just used Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix from the box, but any of the recipes above would make a great base for the chocolate cake. I ended up using the epicurious recipe for the marshmallow frosting (it's the same as on smitten kitchen). If you like a super sweet frosting, this one's for you.

Devil Dog Cake
1 box Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix (prepared according to box)

Marshmallow (or seven-minute) Frosting:
2 large egg whites
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. light corn syrup
2 T. water
1 t. vanilla extract

Make cake according to package directions (I made it with two round pans).

For the frosting, combine frosting ingredients with a pinch of salt in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and beat with a handheld electric mixer at high speed until frosting is thick and fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue to beat until slightly cooled. When cake is cool, frost. I suppose that for a *true* Devil Dog, you should only frost between the layers to make it look like the Drake's cake, but I wanted it to look more like a traditional birthday cake.


(Tip: This frosting was GREAT for piping details. It's thick and glossy and doesn't run—although the dye colors do run a little bit. I reserved about a 1/2 cup of frosting that I put in different ramekins and dyed before piping.)


Yes, I am aware that I went to this much trouble for a dog. But this cake was for the humans!

What you mean? Dis no chocolate cake!
(Yes, that is a Pound Puppy birthday hat. Don't judge.)

Happy first birthday, fuzzy guy!

1 comment:

Capitol to Capital said...

I want to eat that cake and hug that puppy

Related Posts with Thumbnails